Sunday, October 2, 2011

Thank You Mr. President


My wife and I are registered Democrats and did what we could to campaign for Obama for President.
While progress is slow, slower due to the constant road blocks and childish behavior of the GOP, he managed to do more for the LGBT population of this country than ANY OTHER PRESIDENT.
In 2.5 years he righted wrongs against fellow Americans and is continuing to fight for the equality of ALL Americans.

I no longer have to worry about being sick or dying alone while my wife is treated like a stranger with no information or visitation. Obama made it a federal law.
There is a law with Matthew Shepard's name on it that makes it a Hate Crime to mess with ANY minority including LGBT folks. Obama made that happen.
My friends in service of this great country can now stand tall and show off their families and loved ones. They don't have to hide or deny themselves the same life and love that every other soldier has.
Obama got rid of Don't Ask Don't Tell.
He is working on getting rid of the Defence of Marriage Act that denys LGBT couples the rights and responsibilities of marriage. He does not support it and will continue to push to make it history.

When it comes to values, his response to the GOPers that stood by and said nothing while an American soldier was booed.....
"You want to be commander in chief? You can start by standing up for the men and women who wear the uniform of the United States, even when it's not politically convenient." AMEN TO THAT!

This is a President that would NEVER boo a soldier, NEVER cheer when a man is dying with no insurance, NEVER write discrimination IN TO law. That is what the GOP candidates did and want to do.
It scares the hell out of me that EVERY GOPer will be attending the Values Voters Summit hosted by religious zealots and Hate Groups. Religion and hate have no part in governing our nation.

Yes, he did not do all this on his own. He had help just like every President.
 He also had to deal with the GOP's abuse of the filibuster which was historic. ( More in the last 2 years than all others combined)
He had to deal with the GOP's fear of change and their stubbornness. (They refused to pass the Defence Budget until the bill for equality was stripped away)

Things take time and I am just as bad as the rest when it comes to waiting for equality to happen. I have not always agreed with what my party or President wants or how they are going about it. I am impatient and fearful that my LEGAL marriage is not recognized by the federal government and that it could be taken away by a party and President that thinks discrimination is OK.

Obama's words inspired me and at some points, made me cry. To have a President that would stand up for me and mine, that understands discrimination and hate, and will fight to make my country the true land of the free and home of the brave no matter who you are, makes me proud.

Thank you Mr. President

No comments:

Post a Comment