Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Open letter to Rick Santorum


Start watching at the 56.00 mark and listen to what this man thinks of equal marriage. He goes on and on about how it affects him and society without any real affects to site. Never once does he seem concerned with the welfare of our population and our families.
Below is the letter I am sending to Santorum.


Rick Santorum speaks to the Concord (NH) Monitor editorial board from Concord Monitor on Vimeo.

Dear Mr. Santorum,
   I just finished watching the video of your interview with the Concord Monitor. At the 56.00 mark, you began to speak about equal marriage and I need to understand something.
  The way you made it sound is that equal marriage of one person to one person would somehow cause you and others damage but you never gave a concrete example. You also made it sound like my marriage would cause men and women to stop getting married and having families. Do you really believe that?
  You gave some great examples of what marriage is and does for the family and community. Why don't you understand that we want the same things?
  There has ALWAYS been same-sex couples raising children.  That is going to continue with or without equal marriage. The real issue is having the same support for our families and kids.
  You are not being asked to pay more in taxes because your long term and legally married relationship
is not seen the same as yours.
  Your spouse is not being denied health insurance or had it taken away even though you have been together for years and have a house and kids.
  Children do better when their parents are married. I agree. The problem is only 7% of families fit your idea of a family. That leaves out a great deal of families including ours.
  With 50% of marriages ending in divorce, there are a lot of kids being raised by single people.
  Of all the things that can break up someones marriage, having a gay married couple down the street is the least of their worries.
  We don't want to change the meaning of marriage. We want to celebrate marriage. We want the same things. 
I want the 7 years I have spent and vows I took to have the same meaning as yours. I want my kids to know how important marriage is and have the security that comes with it.
I want to know  I will not lose my home because of taxes I would not normally have to pay as a widow.
I want to know our kids will receive Social Security if one of us dies.
I want to know I will receive Social Security benefits if my wife dies before me.
I am a taxpayer.
I am a parent.
I am community minded.
I am an American.
I am the Same as you. I want the Same things out of life and love as you.
Just because I was attracted to and fell in love with a person of the same gender is not much of a reason to deny me and my family the right to the same benefits.
We have always been here. The difference is we are no longer going to take a back seat and be quiet.
We have contributed to the history and shaping of our country behind the scenes and now is the time for others to know about our contributions.
You may try to invalidate my marriage but you will never ever invalidate my love and vows.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Barbara Jane Jackson Lincoln


 

No comments:

Post a Comment