Thursday, April 28, 2011

Gays and Lesbians are not included in "We the People."

From the Bilerico Project,  Ohio County Tries to Write Lesbians Out of Constitution

This is the first line in an excellent piece by guest blogger Tico Almeida .

Our U.S. Constitution begins elegantly, "We the People." Yet some elected officials in Cuyahoga County, Ohio recently argued in federal court that gays and lesbians are not included in that "We the People."

I am not all that surprised by this behavior. I am from Ohio and very aware of how people and the government feels about us queers.  There are few legal protections and they don't mean crap when it comes to burning a barn full of horses.
After living in a state that is more progressive and has indoor plumbing, I realized how much crap I put up with in Ohio.

I will always call Ohio home and am proud of my state for so many reasons but how they think and treat the LGBT population makes it real hard to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment