Friday, November 11, 2011

To All Our Brave Troops - Past, Present, and Future.

When a family has a child in service, they hang a red star in the window.
The day a gold star went up in the window across the street 10 years ago, I did not know what it stood for. I do now.

The boy that died was the first in my home town to loose his life in this war. He was the same age as my boys. A good kid with his life all planned out. Was engaged to a nice girl, wanted to be a police officer after being a juinor officer for a year, and just graduated from high school.
He had not been there long before he was killed.

The news media clogged the street wanting interviews with his parents while the neighbors sat on their porches watching and weeping. We all knew him.

Every officer in town stopped by when the news of his death was announced and the entire police force turned out for the funeral.

Today we are reminded of the brave men and women who have fought and died for freedom. I have family who served. An uncle, brother, and son. They served their country and returned changed men.

We dearly miss those fighting today. I have friends in service today. Some openly LGBT for the first time in our history.

We watch our children and Grandchildren play and hope they never have to fight. I can only hope I never see my nieces, nephews, or grandchildren off to war.

It is a day to be greatful for what we have and what we have given others. A day to remember those who died  with honor and be proud through the pain of losing them.

We don't live there now but I can still see the gold star framed in the window when I close my eyes and am thankful for all who have served, are serving, and with all my hope, never will.





No comments:

Post a Comment