Monday, February 27, 2012

Bob Green, former DJ and ex-husband of Anita Bryant, dies at 80

From the Washington Post comes this gem.

It was rumored he was gay. She seems cold.
Here is just part of the article. Click on the Post to read the whole thing.

By Elinor J. Brecher and Steve Rothaus, Published: February 23

Bob Green, a onetime radio DJ who married pop singer and Miss Oklahoma Anita Bryant, was found dead Jan. 26 at his home in Miami Beach. He was 80.
Mr. Green managed his wife’s rise to stardom as an entertainer and Florida citrus spokeswoman, then followed her into anti-gay activism, which ultimately destroyed their careers — and marriage in 1980. For more than 30 years, Mr. Green lived quietly, alone and resentful.
“Bob internalized a lot of his own anger and frustration and disappointments,” said Bryant, 71, on Wednesday from her home in Oklahoma City. That’s what happens “if you don’t let your faith rise up and you give into all those anxieties.
“The trouble with life is that it’s so daily,” she continued. “You have to have a mind-set that you’re going to work out your problems and God is going to help you. But he’s not going to lay it all in your lap.”

I was in my last days of high school when she was telling lies in Florida. I remember when this happened!


I knew I was different but still had not connected the dots. We did not talk about it then. I did know that what she was doing was wrong and I should be paying more attention to this issue. Getting information was hard in the pre-computer age and the public library did not have the info I was looking for. I would have come out at a much earlier age if I was young today. I knew I was different since kindergarten.
All this talk of "homosexuals"  cut her stardom short. No one wanted to have her as a spokesperson.

No comments:

Post a Comment